Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Today is the last day of Chinese New Year. Sad its over. I had no idea what a big deal it is.

I ate dim sum with VERO people in Wanchai on Wednesday afternoon(yum yum) and visited the flower bazaar that night. Talk about a crowd. Once there you have no option but to be moved with the sea of people around you. I felt a bit like a herded cattle being bombarded with shouts from groups of chinese students selling silly things to raise money for their schools and various charities.

Ihad Thurday day off from work. Justin and I celebrated with beers (him) and Bloody Maries (me) by the sea in Stanley, our first time there. The weather was perfect, even a bit hot in the sun! That night we hit the parade in Tsim Sha Tsui. It was crowded but still fun and I even managed to get up front at the end.

Last night I helped VERO throw a CNY celebration. Our lounge faces Kowloon and looks over the water, so we have a perfect place for watching the fireworks. AMAZING fireworks show! They had little bunny face fireworks (it is now the Year of the Rabbit) and these really cool sparkly fireworks that I enjoyed enormously. The party was a great success and quite manageable. I even had time to go out afterwards!

While out at Hong Kong's "only African bar" I spoke with a Mexican man (so many different nationalities, haha) who told me he left home to travel the world due to the fact that Mexico is too dangerous to live in. He told me of his  kidnapping (from which he escaped) and explained that the Mexican drug cartels control so much of the country that no matter where you go, what you do or who you talk to there is always a threat of being robbed, beaten, killed or kidnapped...I'm sorry for the digression, I just felt the need to retell the story.

Anyways! Happy new year. Hung Hei Fat Choi. I was born in the year of the Rabbit so I look forward to the coming year. Hell, I even got a red packet with $50 in it. Starting off alright;)

Will post pictures as soon I upload them.

Now, he wasn't saying all this to give a bad face to his home country or even give an opinion. He was just speaking plainly of what Mexico is and has become over the last decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment