Saturday, February 11, 2012

Define "Explore"

My enthusiasm for this blog dwindled over the last year for several reasons. Mostly, I was busy with work. I wasn't traveling, which meant I wasn't exploring. Since I wasn't "exploring" I felt I had nothing to write about.

I quit the job that was eating up all my time and took up teaching, a line of work that allows me to travel more and, in turn, blog more. I went to Thailand and blogged about it. I was excited to be traveling and writing again, but soon after traveling to and blogging about Thailand I realized I once again had nothing to write about.

Then I phoned home and spoke with my Dad.

...

Dad wanted to know what I've been up to these days and if I'm enjoying teaching. I explained to him that I am enjoying but am not sure if teaching is something I want to do forever. He responded, "That's fine! It's important you explore these things now so you can figure out what you like and what you don't like."

"That's it!" I thought.

It suddenly dawned on me that exploring is more than traveling, sight seeing and making an honest (albeit naive) attempt at cultural immersion. Exploring, I grasped, has many meanings. Namely, figuring shit out about and for myself! Making decisions, taking risks and trying new things...

At that moment I realized I have loads to write about.

...

And so, the Amateur Explorer marches on. From here I plan to write about what I do, think and come to terms with on a day-to-day basis in addition to writing about my sporadic travel adventures. Perhaps this means my blog will serve as more of a personal diary than an informative blog, perhaps not. Whatever the case may be, I hope my blog continues to hold your attention, my dear reader, and inspires you to tune into your own personal explorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment